The Frauenkirche in Dresden, Germany, was built in the 18th century. The church's most distinctive feature is its dome, an engineering feat comparable to Michelangelo's dome for St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. The Frauenkirche withstood several days of bombing in 1945 but finally collapsed on February 15, 1945 due to the extreme heat caused by the raid. For decades the charred ruins stood as a memorial against war. After Germany's reunification, a citizen's initiative promoted the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche and after 13 years of rebuilding, the church was reconsecrated in October 2005. The dark stones are original stones from the rubble.